Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Goodbye OR, hello FL.

Sad news, all. I am being forced to surrender my Oregon residency. I had been attempting to hang on to it for as long as possible, but the time has come for me to part ways with the Oregon driver's license (and probably the license plate, too - though I'm bitter, as I just renewed my tags!). As of 10:00AM tomorrow I will be a Florida resident. So sad. So official. So... permanent sounding. But it's a sacrifice I am willing to make to join a local credit union. They better appreciate me. The best part about all of this is the ridiculous amount of license plates I have to choose from. Oregon has 4 or so. Florida has about 100. Seriously. I've lived here for 7 (8?) months and still see new ones. And that's just Gainesville. It's crazy. So the most exciting part of my day tomorrow may be obtaining a super fun license plate - that's right, the best part of my day. I also find this strange, that I will get only one plate. I currently have plates on both the front and rear of my car. Florida thinks this is too much, however, and only wants them in the rear. I feel this can make identification tricky. What's the rationale behind the single plate? Silly Florida. So I know everyone will be quivering in anticipation, but don't you worry - as soon as possible I'll post a pic of the new plate (I'm leaning toward the wildflower - Jetta will be so cute!).

3 comments:

Ashley said...

if you have a sweet ride (yes, i just said "sweet ride") then it rocks to not have to put a license plate on the front of the car. they are ugly. but i'm sure that's not florida's rationale. they are probably just trying to save money! but i'm sure all of those cool kids in their lowered civics appreciate it. :)

Anonymous said...

That is sad. :( I am glad I haven't had to switch because the plates here are stupid looking (they have a picture of a boat & barn in the right corner). Mt Rainier kicks butt and if there aren't mountains here to look at I at least need one on my car!

koprime said...

what kind did you get?!? i love that you're giving up and gaining new residency to join a credit union. the credi union movement lives on! which one did you join?