Tuesday, October 31, 2006

This one's for you, K-nut.

How receptive do you think people might be to a church for people who don't believe in a god? Seriously. I've been thinking about this recently, and had a conversation the other night with a friend who has similar feelings on the subject. I'm all for a gathering place for 'good' people. I just don't quite know how I feel about God. Or people telling me how to think/what to do. See where the traditional church and I differ?

Some associate church with morals. I like morals. I like people with morals. I just don't like the fact that going to church automatically means you have them (to some). I also don't enjoy being told that I am without morals for not going... is this something a truly righteous person should think/say?

I've recently been informed that church is a good place to meet men. In theory, I accept this. However, do men go to church alone? And do you think men who go to church alone will appreciate the fact that I have unclear feelings on the whole church phenomenon? And more importantly, are the men who go to church men that I want to know/date? This makes me think perhaps the "meet men at church" piece of advice is one for me personally to pass on.

But just think of it, lock-ins and mixers, spaghetti feeds and community service: all good. I'll all for those things; I would just love to be able to do them in a deity-free environment. Any suggestions?


No comments: