Monday, November 20, 2006

Number 12 - not so cute anymore.

So I have this neighbor. The type you think may be a fun neighbor to have (i.e. really cute, my age) - we'll call him #12. It looked promising for a few months. And then, a few weeks back, the truth was revealed: #12 is not a fun neighbor, #12 is a loud neighbor. Only one thing is worse than a loud neighbor: a loud neighbor and thin walls. Guess what kind of walls I have.

This first came to be while I had a friend visiting (shout out, K-nut)... a pleasant night's sleep interrupted by goodness knows what (group wrestling perhaps?) at 3:00am. Yes, I realize it was a Friday night, but still - silence to screams/thuds at 3:00am is not fun, no matter what the day. Let's talk about my walls again: PAPER THIN, evidently. An example of the thinness can be seen in the fact that K-nut and I were privy to every word of the group's conversation that night (mainly one really drunk, stupid girl - sidenote, very educational experience in the harmful affect of the overuse of "like"). Since the noises went on for quite some time that evening, I was eventually forced to walk next door and attempt to speak to #12 (mind you, I'd been asleep for several hours and was looking quite fetching). Those who know me will attest to my lack of confrontational skills... I hate confrontations. I hate looking mean and boring, also, so this was a fantastic experience. Only topped off by the fact that #12 was too much of a baby to talk to me himself and sent a friend down instead. Come on, #12.

We're still not quite sure what was going on next door that night... Possibly risqué, probably unusual, obviously loud.

I bring this up today because the #12 saga lives on. There have been several similar nights of fun since then, including last night (SUNDAY night, for pete's sake!). Never again will I wonder if my DVD (on the quietest volume setting, mind you) is too loud - never again! #12 and I are not friends, and his cuteness has severely diminished over time (though he's still pretty cute, darn it).

All of this could have been avoided, K-nut and I determined early on, if we'd simply been invited to the... festivities. We probably wouldn't have gone, of course, but it would have been much more enjoyable to listen in knowing we could have partaken. And so, a tip to those of you who may be loud - invite the neighbors.

No comments: