Thursday, March 29, 2007

Brace yourselves.

It's a post about music. On my blog! Stephanie: one of the most non-musical people ever known. Seriously - it's a family trait (just ask Ashley). That being said, the time has come to bring up a few music-related issues that have been bothering me lately. I fear for the future of music. And, on a related note, society - but that's another entry.

I should preface my concerns with a little background. As we all know, I'm from M-F. M-F is not home to good radio stations, and once I was old enough to realize this I began listening to country, as that's what the majority of stations were (oh, rural farmland). Music was never big in my house - not on while we cooked/ate/cleaned; my only recollection of my parents listening to music is while they're in the car (oldies). I blame them for the fact that to this day I am unable to name well-known artists (however - I can ROCK OUT to ANY oldie). Recently, I decided I'd like to be cognizant of current "hit" music, so I have temporarily done away with country and found a ("pop"?) radio station in G'ville that I think is actually pretty good. This has been, for the most part, a good experience. I am proud to say I can sing along to Fergie, Snoop, and the All American Rejects (and many others, thank you). During the past few weeks, though, I've been a bit dismayed by some of my "hit" music revelations - please see below.

Miscellaneous concerns:

1. Lyrics in general. Do most hit songs actually have a meaning or message? I can pretty confidently say no. Also - could some of the songs get any dirtier?? Goodness. I have some specific complaints, but I'll get to those later.

2. Clothing in music videos. What are these people wearing?? I have been reintroduced to music videos through my workouts at the gym (thank you for the distraction, GH&F) and am completely perplexed by the wardrobe choices of many (otherwise okay) artists. For example, Madonna. I was surprised to look up and see Madonna clad in only a purple bodysuit/leotard the other evening. Excuse me? Another example: Gwen Stefani. Pretty sure I spied here in a sparkly hot pants suit contraption last night. Why??? Akon, on the other hand, looked completely fine in jeans and a long sleeved-shirt (though he could have gone without the "bling") - well done. Do artists feel their singing is enhanced by ridiculous attire? Do they realize that they look dumb? I find it quite distracting.

3. What's popular. This gets to the heart of the matter. A few days ago I was perusing itunes after deciding my ipod could use an update. I thought it might be helpful to check out the top 100 downloaded songs list and was DISGUSTED to discover that "This is why I'm hot" was the most popular song. SERIOUSLY? My outrage must be vented in a separate, appropriate paragraph:

Specific song concerns:

1. "This is why I'm hot" (Mims). This song irritates me enough that I spontaneously sigh when it comes on the radio. Seriously. My hand flies to the stereo at light speed to find another station. I feel I should share some lyrics (which won't be hard, since the entire song is basically one phrase):

This is why I'm Hot [2x]
This is why [2x] Uh
This is why I'm Hot (Uh)
This is why I'm Hot [2x] Whoo
This is why [2x]
This is why I'm Hot

I'm hot cuz I'm fly (fly)
You aint cuz you're not (Mims)
This is why [2x]
This is why I'm hot [2x]

Yep, #1 song in the country (it's fallen to 4 on the billboard charts - darn it!).

2. "Smack that" (Akon). The lyrics are self-explanatory:

[Chorus (2X):]
Smack that, all on the floor
Smack that, give me some more
Smack that, 'till you get sore
Smack that oh-oooh!

SERIOUSLY? I found myself singing along to this a few times without really listening. Once I started actually thinking about it I could not believe this is okay. Til you get sore? Wow.

SUPER FUNNY SIDENOTE: Last Saturday I awoke to #12 and his super-loud girlfriend (at 5:30am, thank you very much) going at it. She was SOO loud; I seriously considered going over later that day to congratulate him on his performance. Back to the point - I distinctly heard some ass-smacking. Yep - I got to wake up to this. But, the fact that it was all I could do to not start singing "smack that" made me laugh so hard I couldn't be mad at them. I still smile every time I think about it - thanks #12.

Anyone else concerned about pop music? Are these going to be our "oldies" later on? I can't quite envision me driving around with my grandchildren listening to Snoop, but I suppose it could happen - I'll let you know.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Only Madonna can pull of leotards in this day and age!

Your problem is that you are listening the radio in the first place. 90 percent of everything played on the radio (99% on pop stations) is crap and not worth listening to. And your second problem is that you are listening to 'pop'!

I have a radio in every room, including the bathroom. So I'm not really one to bash radio and say "don't listen to it", but at least in Portland we have one good music radio station - KINK.

I think I'm going to have to burn you some CDs in my spare time. :) The new Modest Mouse CD just came out! Woo!

rmtrax said...

I compeltely agree with you, on every point. My parents also created a child not attuned to pop music in anyway (or realy, all of pop culture). Which I am really ok with. Is it really necessary to know the details of has beens and untalented people just b/c they got noticed or laid the right people? Whatever.

Ashley is right. Radios suck. Expcept the oldies stations :)
.
I think that current music makes kids dumb and believe that that behavior is ok (my GOD I am so OLD!!)
I think In living Color did a spoof of our generation when we're old, rockin' out to snoop and Run DMC. at least the latter can write some good sh%#. Maybe this is what adults thought when Janis Joplin etc came to town.

rmtrax said...

and yeah! you'll be here in the big D!

KatyH said...

That Super Funny Sidenote was indeed super funny. I laughed a lot. I think the problem with #12 has been that his sex has not been entertaining enough up until this point. That is obviously about to change. I can't wait to hear what happens next!