Wednesday, March 21, 2007

You gotta love small towns.

Milton-Freewater has a weekly newspaper entitled The Valley Herald. For those of you unfamiliar with it, the lack of substantial newworthiness and grammatical errors make it worth reading. By far the best part of the paper is a column entitled Have you Heard? by local legend Dorothy Heard. This column epitomizes small town life. There is no actual reason for its existence, other than to allow this woman to share weekly M-F gossip with her readers. It is FANTASTIC. In addition to the subject matter, it should be noted that Dorothy cannot write well. I am not saying this to be mean, anyone who is familiar with the column will attest. The grammar/punctuation used to bother me, until I was informed that Dorothy is well into her 90's. With this revelation, I decided to give her a break. Anyway, the column is classic M-F; I am honestly careful with what I tell my father for fear that I will appear [misrepresented] in Dorothy's column. It's happened. Several times. This being said, Katy H got her first Dorothy Heard column appearance last week (silly her for talking to someone in M-F about her life)! Obviously, I have to share it with all of you. Just read it - you'll see what I mean. Remember, this is in my town newspaper.

More good news about a Mac-Hi graduate... Katy H graduated with the class of 1998. She went to Library School. Got her masters from Library School at Wichita, Kansas. She is now Director of a Llibrary in Texas. She has been named by the American Library Association as one of 100 emerging leaders.

The Library of which she is director has just been awarded the Outstanding New Library in Texas. The American Library Association has just voted her a $1000 scholarship to attend the annual American Library Association annual conference in Washington DC this summer. One last note: She is daing son of a Baptist Church minister. Her mother Beth H lives in Walla Walla.

Way to go Katy! It's also worth noting that the writing isn't actually as bad as it's been known to be (spelling errors are minimal, for example). I love M-F.

I know all of you want to see the paper for yourselves, so here's the link:

http://www.govalleyherald.com/news/620l_Dorthy_Heard.cfm


4 comments:

rmtrax said...

Holy Crap! I thought these columns died out (not meaning the authors died, you know what I mean) long ago. O Gee...
That was hilarious. It looks like something that would be in the church bulletin from the Women's group (my mom is the youngest member, and she's 60!). That's great that Katy is daing a son of a baptist preacher. Is this scandalous in M-F??

Ashley said...

yay for katy!

seriously though, wouldn't just proof-reading your own work at least catch the typos like 'daing'? or maybe it's not even dorothy's fault. being old, maybe she writes her column on legal pads and some random dude who can't type, types it up? let's not blame dorothy. :)

i also want to know if dating ... er daing... a son of a baptist preacher is scandalous.

and did someone send you this column, or do you secretly read it regularly? ;)

KatyH said...

Ha! I'm so glad that I made it on the blog!

Just to throw a random fact in the mix: later on in her column, she states that her TYPEWRITER sits at a window overlooking... something. It's not important what it's overlooking; the important thing here is that she uses a typewriter. Oh my.

koprime said...

man -- small towns are awesome. props to the newspaper for going online, though! also -- props to katy!